Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

Waking Up Gasping for Breath

As mentioned before, both my husband and I both have "heart" issues. I put quotations around heart because both of us have tested with strong heart pumping action on our tests, so both of us have strong hearts. It's just that his is related to arterial disease, and mine is related to having an extra electrical conduction system.

Lately, in the middle of the night, I've been wake up with a racing heart, but not an SVT.  This is not related to my heart, but more anxiety, or a breathing issue.  I don't think it's my heart since I've had a dozen EKG's this past year, a 30-day heart monitor, which showed nothing, and an echocardiogram stress test, which was perfect.  I don't have shortness of breath, or exercise induced angina, so the doctors won't give me any more tests to know perfectly that my heart has a problem.

I think my problem is due to good old GERD.

I have celiac's disease, chronic gastritis, IBS, and a duodenal ulcer, plus I'm missing a gallbladder.  I have a lot of chest pain, which I think I pretty much blame on my digestive issues.  My digestive issues have greatly improved on a plant based diet.  I no longer have IBS issues, no constipation, and no mucousy bloody stools.  I am still dealing with, however, esophageal pain and ulcer pain, which I have been treating with raw cabbage juice with significant improvement, although not completely resolved yet.

I do have trouble with chest pains when I lay flat on my back, and I really think that the acid in my stomach is washing up to my esophagus, or gas builds up in there because when I burp, the pain is relieved.

Last night I decided not to eat after 7:00 p.m.  I thought this would diminish the bedtime chest pain, and it did for two more hours than it usually does, but I still woke up in a panic at 4:00 a.m.   This time I felt like I was suffocating (sleep apnea, perhaps?), and I went into a little panic attack.  I did have the usual burning pressure feeling behind my lower sternum.

I'm now thinking I have developed sleep apnea and, possibly it's being caused by swelling in my throat due to reflux from the hiatal hernia allowing acids into my esophagus.

I really hope I can get a handle on this soon, and hope I can get a handle on it without having to have Prilosec.  Prilosec helps my sleep, but I don't want to get deficiencies with long term use.

Today I'm going to search in town for a wedge pillow, and hope that will solve the problem.  If it does, than I'm good to go, all issues addressed and solved.  If I can get better sleep, than many of my issues, PVC's, SVT, anixiety, and muscle pain should lessen significantly.

If not, I plan to do a sleep study before the end of the year, but I really want to make sure I need the test before I take it.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment