Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

Reliable SVT Triggers for Me and Conversion Techniques

Today I had my first SVT in five months.  I knew I was at risk for one because I have been having digestive trouble due to ingesting gluten.  I had lots of diarrhea yesterday, it was hot, I was outside sweating all day, and I was having a lot of PVC's.  SVT's, for me, always come on the heals of PVC's.  I've never ever had SVT's without PVC's first.

This morning I was squatting while sorting some sockets for my husband in the garage.  I felt a few PVC's and thought, "I shouldn't be squatting."  But, I was so intent on getting my project done, I ignored the warning, and then boom, and then race.

I went into the house to try and convert it through drinking a lot of cold water, coughing, having a BM, soaking my face in ice water, and even trying to sit upside down on the couch.

I drank more water and took a magnesium pill.

It still wouldn't convert after 30 minutes, so I decided just to go to Urgent Care to get an EKG and blood work done.  I'm still pretty new at this so it's nice to get the reassurance.

Halfway to the Urgent Care the SVT converted on it's own when I was "chillin'" in the car and talking to my driver, my calm 7 year-old son.  I did decided to continue my visit to the Urgent Care, however.

Everything checked out fine and I'm glad I went in because the doctor told me they have adenosine in Urgent Care and don't mind administering it.  He said, "Don't you ever worry about coming in to be checked out if you need reassurance."

I have learned two things about Urgent Care doctors.  They are usually very conciliatory with any complaints of the heart, and they are usually excited to assess a possible broken bone.

  I'm so glad the doctor said what he did because this means I can feel free to go to Urgent Care which is down the street from me, instead of dealing with going 10 miles away to the ER.  It means no more ambulance rides and the costs associated with.

That knowledge right there will go far in helping me to convert on my own for future attacks, because another ambulance ride to the ER has always be foremost in my mind when I'm trying to stop the SVT, and they drives up the adrenaline which keep the SVT going.

Each SVT that I have and convert on my own makes the next one easier to deal with.  They are still unnerving, but they are not making me insane anymore.

I have now had six SVT's the past two years and my consistent triggers have been, diarrhea the day before, being upset, having canker sores in my mouth, bloody gums (all celiac's issues), no sleep, and the action of squatting or sitting forward on a full stomach.

Some  things I just can't always avoid, and so with my great work in trying to avoid them failing today, I have learned that just like an epileptic has to deal with seizures from time to time, I have to deal with SVT's.  The Urgent Care doctor pretty much helped me learn that that has to be my mindset.  It helps to accept the condition a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment