Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Got Through Vacation Without One SVT

I am happy to report that I got through my entire vacation without going into SVT once!!!!!

I am so excited about this because vacation can put a person in so many situations that could cause an SVT episode.

On this vacation, I was subjected to lack of sleep, large meals, adrenaline rushes from airplane take offs and landings, adrenaline rushes from Disney roller coasters, anxiety from family illness, and family dynamics, PMS, and gluten exposure.

I wanted to allow myself to experience many situations while on vacation to prove to myself that I can keep living and full and happy life, even with the threat of an SVT episode looming around the corner.

I wanted to test out a theory that if I kept myself hydrated, took my magnesium, kept my potassium levels up by eating plenty of bananas, and tried to keep my emotions under control, I would not go into SVT.

It seems to have worked, but only time will continue to prove that out.

Here is how I handled myself during my ten day trip.  Each morning I drank 16 oz of water and took 100 mg  of magnesium glycinate.  I also took 1/2 of a 100 Stress B complex vitamin supplement which also contains copper, zinc, and vitamin C.  I made sure I ate one banana in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening.  I made sure to drink several glasses of water throughout the day, and I took 100 mg. of magnesium two more times, in the afternoon, and evening.

I made sure to eat a wide variety of low-fat plant based foods, and whenever I felt I was getting overly stressed I would do something to destress, like breathe deeply, close my eyes, and pray.  Each morning I asked the Lord to keep me out of SVT, and I think He helped me by giving me ideas to stay out of it.

In the California traffic, I tried to stay calm, and on the Disneyland roller coasters, I kept telling myself that I have never had and SVT on a roller coaster so I don't know until I try if they are going to trigger one.  The funny thing is, the only anxiety I had on the roller coasters was buckling up.  Once the ride started, I was having so much fun I could feel myself relax and destress.  I road the Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Radiator Springs Racers, with no trouble at all!

I am so happy because all of these things put me in stressful situations that were far more stressful than what I experience at home and if stress were the trigger, I should have had several episodes.  This leads me to believe that my SVT episodes are being caused by electrolyte issues.

One day, while on vacation, I had the classic feeling of leg crampiness I have had on every SVT day that I have had.  So, I decided that day, I would not go on a roller coaster unless the crampiness went away.  I also drank a lot more water and made sure I had my three bananas that day.  By mid-morning the crampiness went away, and by afternoon, I felt fine and was able to ride two roller coasters that day.

I am so grateful because this has really boosted my self-confidence.  I will continue to take my supplements, drink my water, and eat my bananas and see if that puts the episodes farther apart from each other.  How I would love to eliminate them altogether, or at least, keep them at the low frequency so as not to alarm my cardiologist and rattle my confidence.

Doesn't DH look great?  Here we are with our three youngest of seven children at the Tiki Room at Disneyland.

I rode this with out any ticker trouble!




No comments:

Post a Comment