Search This Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Garden Bean Burgers

I decided to give this recipe it's own page, since we eat so many of these.  I love how they can be transported so easily for a traveling snack.  When DH was in the hospital, I made a couple dozen of these and brought them with me.  This is what I survived on.  Caregivers have to fend for themselves on the food front, and that's really hard for a celiac to do when your cafeteria caters to a population that demands greasy, bready foods.

1 can garbanzo beans with 1/2 liquid drained
1 can kidney beans drained
1/4 c sundried tomatoes
1/2 c dehydrated peppers ( or you can use a bell pepper diced, or a can of drained pimientos)
1 c finely chopped kale
1 c brown rice cooked
1 c oatmeal
1/4 c Bob's Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour
2 T chia seeds
1/4 t xanthum gum
1 T Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb
1 t thyme
1 T garlic powder
1 T vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a high powered blender (I use my Ninja that I bought from Walmart), blend beans, tomatoes, peppers, kale, until all ingredients are finely chopped, but not quite as smooth as hummus.  Transfer ingredients to a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.  Mix ingredients together with mixer.


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  As if you were making large cookes, glop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto the cookie sheet and then smash down.  Or you can take a handful, like you would when making hamburgers, roll into a ball, and smash into a flattened circular pattie.


Bake on each side for 15 minutes.



For DH, I serve this with no oil spaghetti sauce.  He has trouble with his triglycerides, so we try to keep the sugars down by substituting catsup with spaghetti sauce.  I can eat them just plain.  This tastes delicious with GF Canyon House Bread, if you aren't vegan, but since we are trying to control blood sugars and tryglycerides, and since I am a celiac, we eat them without bread.

  For some reason, I really like to eat them with grapes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment