Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

What to Eat With the Mouse

We're planning a trip to Disneyland, and I've been struggling to figure out what to eat while we are there.

I searched through the menus of the restaurants at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure and wrote down all of the menu items that fit into a gluten free, low fat plant based diet.  What I discovered was that at several restaurants we could get basically the same thing....  a plate with romaine lettuce, topped with cucumber, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, pecans, and dressing.  I actually had something like this last year at the Magic Kingdom at Liberty Tavern last year.  It was good, but I'm sure it wouldn't fill up my boys, especially after walkng the park all day.  In additon,  I would have to have the pecans taken off and ask for vinegar for dressing.

While I'm very glad that I could call any Disney restaurant ahead of time and tell them about our dietary restrictions, I'm trying to figure out if I could just bring snacks with us hat would be more filling than a plate of lettuce with a few vegetables sprinkled on top.

I'm not knocking Disney at all.  I'm sure they would sautee us a plate full of vegetables in water instead of oil if I asked them to, but I'm trying to decide if I can provide better options for less cost.

So I'm making a list of snacks that we can take with us.  Some of the snacks we'll put in the lockers on Main Street USA with something to keep them cool, and others we'll carry around with us to snack on when we get the hankering.

Here's what I've come up with so far, and if anyone has anymore ideas, please post in the comments below. Remember, they have to be gluten, sugar, and fat free. :)

sliced bell peppers
sliced carrots
sliced cucumbers
cherry tomatoes
frozen or fresh grapes
apple slices bathed in lemon juice
baked corn tortilla chips (Before I bake them I dip them in tomato juice.  This makes them crispy and not too hard to chew)
all of the above dipped in homemade hummus
roasted chickpeas
kale chips
baked potato chips
baked sweet potato chips
popcorn
bean burgers  (I lived off of bean burgers and grapes for two days when DH was in the hospital)

I also plan to take advantage of the three fruit stands that are placed at the Disney resort.  They have several sliced fresh fruit items like pineapple, mango, watermelon, and apples that we can catch for fun too.


No comments:

Post a Comment